Friday, October 12, 2012

Planning vs Pantsing

Hmm, it's been a while....
I have been working on a new project for NaNoWriMo.  I thought it might be cool to add to my millions of project by getting another rough draft done, this one a paranormal romance.  Yes, I know romance, I see you rolling your eyes out there but that's what the concept called for.  In any case, I've been doing a lot of research and prep since I can't actually start until November and wasn't trying to do all of it last minute like I normally do and I've discovered something in the process.

I like research.  I like planning.  I love watching a story unfold and the characters come to life before I've even begun to write their story.  I feel more comfortable with a plan and plot and trying to answer all the questions the readers would ask before I start writing.  I don't want to everything everything nailed down nor do I intend to have all of it together...I'm not that good a planner but a little preparation will help immensely when I begin writing.  I will have to see how it pans out at the beginning of the month when I begin writing but at this moment, I'm feeling better about this story than any other since my Tower story, another I spent a lot of prep on.  I obviously need to plan and outline somewhat before I begin writing.  I am not a pantser, I am not a gardener.  I am also not quite an architect where I have everything planned out but I do need some structure.  Nice to know yourself a bit better and hoping this translates into better writing as well as an easier time with editing.